Saturday, November 27, 2010

Days 26 and 27 part two

I burned my thumb while getting pies out of the oven on Thanksgiving morning--the pot-holder slipped and I grabbed the oven rack with my bare thumb instead of the pot-holder.  I got it on my ear pretty quickly (really, it works!) to cool it down enough to get the pies out, and then, as soon as I had the pies out of the way, I held it under cold running water until it was numb.  Painfully numb.  Almost unbearably numb.  Because of that, I don't have two big blisters covering the pad of my thumb at lovely right angles; I have two big rough spots instead.  I'm really glad I was near the sink and I did the ear trick (my dad picked that one up in Korea when he was in his 20s, and it really does work for some reason), and I'm really glad it didn't blister.  If it HAD blistered up, I'd be almost useless to sew or knit or crochet.

One more thing to be thankful about. :)

2 comments:

Giggles said...

I have never heard of that ear trick before. While I hope I never burn my fingers again (not likely), I'll hope I remember that trick. That's very interesting. Do you just put your finger on your ear or in your ear?

Heidi said...

Put your finger on your earlobe, kind of like pinching your ear. For some reason, the amount of blood vessels in your ears pulls heat away quickly.