Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 8

Today has been focused on office work (for which I get paid) and housework (for which I do not get paid).  I didn't do much of anything when I got home from work but chores; my usual Monday nights, I go to bed early because I work in the temple on Tuesday mornings, but the temple is closed for its semi-annual maintenance until November 23.  Because I don't have to wake up at 3:45 tomorrow morning I feel a little restless and wrong right now.  Maybe that's why I've kept so busy since work!

I left work 5 minutes early and as soon as I got home I started some laundry, heated up dinner (leftover pizza from Friday night), did some dishes, scooped the kitty litter, practiced the piano for Sunday, ate dinner, cleaned up the kitchen (mostly), knitted, figured out how to rearrange the furniture in my room, played with the cats, had my dad help me find out which part of my favorite lamp needs to be replaced, and now I'm blogging.  Busy day!

About the lamp--a couple of years ago, one of the cats knocked it off my nightstand and the switch hasn't worked properly since then.  I have to jiggle it to keep it on, and tonight we took it apart and figured out that it's the switch itself that needs to be replaced.  Once I get a new switch (this is the entire socket, but all I need is the internal switch), it'll be easy enough to reconnect the wires and put it all back together.  I'm really glad it's an easy fix because I would be very sad if the lamp couldn't be repaired.

Funny, I've always been curious about how things work, and now I realize that my curiosity more often than not has led to developing a skill.  I feel confident I can repair a lot of things if I set my mind to it, and that's pretty cool.  

1 comment:

Giggles said...

I remember helping somebody fix up an extension cord in Brasil and thinking that wasn't so hard. Wires scare me. But I guess as long as they aren't connected to anything yet it's still okay.