Friday, November 5, 2010

Day 5

I had to dig through my archives to find the last time I talked about the afghans I made for my niece and nephew.  Kind of sad that I posted about making them but can't remember posting about finishing them, and I didn't include pictures of the toads with their "yarn blankets".

This post, I have decreed, will be just pictures of a couple of things I've actually finished, instead of the pictures of "my" sewing room I took tonight, which would just frustrate and irritate me.

So.

Here we are!  They chose the yarn and the basic patterns themselves.  I got creative with the stripes and borders.

This is The Lad's finished afghan.  I mailed it to him something like a year ago, and he loved it.  He declared that it was big enough to cover all three of his little sisters, and has since said that it keeps monsters and bad guys away at night.  I am quite pleased about this.  It's fun making something someone you love will love.  I hope he takes it to college with him. :)

He really did choose all those colors  himself.  I asked if he was sure, but reminded him that I would do whatever he wanted.  He said he was sure, even about the gray.  My sister helped me put it all together in a more or less aesthetic way and my quilt group really loved it.  I bought more of the light green yarn and decided to add another stripe in light blue before finishing with a border of orange and rainbow.  This was the first time I'd done a border so some of the stitches came out weird, but who's going to care?  Not me!



This is spider-loving four-year-old Charlotte's afghan.  Her favorite color is pink and she loves stripes, so this was just as fun, if not as colorful, as Isaac's, and I think she loves hers just as much as he loves his.  My sister (who went with us to the "yarn store") said that Charlotte went right for that variegated yarn and didn't want anything else.  She helped her choose the off-white to make stripes.  My parents were able to pack it in a suitcase to hand-deliver in February when they went for a short visit.

Of course, I had to include one with Branwyn and Cassidy checking it out and giving it their approval...  The finished product made the tediousness of sewing in all those ends, worth it.

1 comment:

Giggles said...

I love blankets that scare away monsters!