Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day 20

Where was I when we left off?  Oh yes.  Rolags.  And vomiting.

The third class, I had a pretty nice sack of rolags, but I'd been feeling queasy all day.  I think I'd thrown up earlier at work or something, but I was doing ok--Sprite and soda crackers at my desk were helping, but when I got to Heindselman's, I knew something was very wrong.  I learned something that day:  much as I (and my stomach) might want to, I can't throw up in public.  I can't.  I TRIED, because my stomach sure wanted to rid itself of its contents, but I couldn't.  So I figured I'd just ask where the bathroom was when I needed it.  I made my way upstairs to our class and I really must have looked awful, because my classmates asked if I was ok.  I explained a little what had been going on and apologized in advance if I had to leave suddenly.  Which I had to, about 40 minutes in.  Afterward, I felt MUCH better and was able to practice pretty well on a spinning wheel.

When I say "practice pretty well", I mean I didn't fall over or throw up again.  You can see how awful my so-called yarn is, but I practiced and I got better!

This is the Schacht Ladybug model.  Apparently Schacht makes some of the best spinning wheels in the world and I got to use this lightweight, collapsible, portable one.  It's cute, but I ended up liking an all-wood one better.  Again, you can see how lumpy my yarn is.  I'll tell you, though, spinning is MIGHTY soothing, especially when one's stomach has been trying to kill oneself all day.

It's interesting--as soon as I really convince myself that it was TOTALLY FINE to not be really good at this right away, I immediately got better at it.   Just letting go of that expectation let me focus on learning the craft and letting my body remember.  It was pretty cool. 

Next blog, I'll show you some much better yarn and a fun tool called a niddy-noddy. :)

1 comment:

Giggles said...

Amazing! Now I'm wondering how I managed to never see this yarn of yours.