Saturday, November 6, 2010

Day 6

My stomach has been bugging me for the last couple of hours (it's as if my stomach is chewing on my esophagus, which is just about as pleasant as it sounds), and I accidentally just drank some sour milk (I don't routinely sniff before I pour because milk doesn't hang around here long enough to go bad), so I think today's post will just be pictures and a description of the current state of "my" sewing room.  Actually, I share it with my mom and sister, but they will both tell you my stuff takes up at least 80% of all the space in there.   

Originally, this room was our playroom, but then dad decided to install counters and cupboards so we'd have a place to do homework and other projects.  I don't think it got much use as a study room before he made it his office when he worked from home.  The pegboard above the sewing machine was my dad's (he has a MUCH BIGGER one in his shed now).  It's such a handy place to hang things!  I can't imagine a sewing room without one at this point.  Three racks of thread, an old lamp we all love, a pile of magazines to go through, my mom's (her grandmother's) sewing box, fabric yardage, a couple of pairs of pants to alter, some cut-out shirts for my brother, and some REALLY BRIGHT satin my grandmother saved from the dump 50 years ago.  I have no idea what to do with the satin but it might be fun to use as a quilt back or binding or something.  It's just so bright!  I think it's acetate, and I'm fine with it softening up and losing some shine when it's washed.  The Amazon box in the corner?  It's there for the cats to sleep in when they want to keep someone company.  We're nothing if not good hosts...



Mostly my stuff, here.  The chest of drawers is full of fabric yardage (I mean FULL) which is why there is a neat stack of fabric on the cutting surface.  The stuff on top of the magazines is reference books that didn't fit anywhere else, stencils, and a couple of issues of Dwell.  The magazines you see are 10 years of back issues of Victoria before they became defunct and then came back.  The colorful magazines are back issues of House and Garden.  To their right are some books and pamphlets.  The plastic bins have trim, ribbon, fat quarters, and zippers in them.  The boxes on the chest of drawers are all my patterns.  The ivory sewing box is mine, as well as the little portable kit on top of it.  I keep a sweater in the sewing room on the back of a chair for when it's chilly, but mom commandeered the chair and I haven't put the sweater anywhere else yet.  The plastic drawers have craft supplies of various sorts in them, including about 30 long skinny hot glue sticks I bought 10 years ago and haven't used up yet.  You can see our little sleeve board that was made in West Germany (telling you how old it is) and was given to us by a friend who didn't know what else to do with it.  It's been very useful!  You can also see a couple of bolts of fabric on rolls.  One of the rolls is a beautiful dark pink silk I bought when I was engaged and intended to use as part of my wedding dress (still do, in fact), and the other is a red-green iridescent taffeta I bought because it was pretty.



My dad built the platform the cutting table (an old desk/conference table) sits on and it's been really handy for storage.  As you can see, there is plenty of room there for my sister's fabric (in the pink drawer unit), about half my fabric (scraps in the boxes you can sort of see on the left), and various craft containers, as well as bolts of muslin and interfacing and possibly some batting behind everything.  I don't remember everything that's under there right now.  Branwyn was in the room being a ginormous pretty princess...as usual.

  

It's not the tidiest sewing room in the world, and I really need to actually SEW things out of all that fabric, but it's neater than some I've seen and worked in and it has a TV mounted on a wall arm, as well as all my DVDs.  It's a happy place in many ways and I'm incredibly grateful we have the space for a room just for sewing.  We're pretty lucky!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Well darn it. The formatting went screwy so the lines of the text are too close together. Sorry about that. Goodness knows how long it'll take me to sort it out...bleh.

Giggles said...

The organization of your sewing room puts mine to shame.