Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A High-fiber Lunch

Thanks to Lisa, who made a really bad (and awesomely funny) pun when I told her I was going to the fabric store on my lunch break, I have title for my blog. Actually, I had to go to the fabric store because I have to reinforce the buttons on my pretty wool coat and I (GASP) don't have the right color of thread amongst my dozens of spools. I was pretty shocked. So I told Lisa with the magic of IM that I needed to go, and she said "Sounds like a healthy lunch full of fiber". It made me laugh.

I did come back with some fiber, and not just thread! I found a really pretty sea-greenish lightweight wool that would make a really pretty dress like unto this or this from Boden. For me or my mom. Or maybe both of us! I have just under 4 yards of 60" wide fabric, and that should be plenty for a simple little dress like that. What's surprising about finding that wool is that the wool selection around here has been absolutely dismal for the last few years with the exception of some nice coat-weight wool felts that I have no use for at this time. What's also surprising is that I got it for only $9.99 a yard. I did some quick calculating (initial cost divided by days worn) and realized that it would be a bargain to get a nice dress (or two) for $40. Now I just need to find a pattern or get really adventurous and "kitbash" a new pattern out of what I already have.

Next up, actually make the brown butterfly dress and the orange velveteen skirt (prettier than it sounds, I assure you) and some pleated skirts (corduroy? wool? a magic blend of some kind?). And buy some long socks (or these! because look how cute!) to keep my little legs warm.

3 comments:

Giggles said...

You quoted me! I feel special.

I have wanted a black wool coat for a very long time, and nobody would buy me one. So I bought some of that coat weight wool felt last year. I'm going to have an absolutely gorgeous black wool coat as soon as I get around to sewing it. I can't remember exactly, but for what I paid for all the materials (the lining is going to be insulated and quilted too), I couldn't buy a sleeve on some of the ones I've been eyeing.

Hurray for sewing!

Anonymous said...

Good going..! Last week, I got a beautiful dress from Boden.

Nursapalooza said...

Hi, I am a friend of Katie's so I thought I'd hop over here. I LOVE that wool dress. When you're done with your creation, plz pop up a picture for us so we mere mortals can see!