Sunday, July 26, 2009

This weekend

This weekend, I've done the following:
  • Finished a skirt, which involved sewing the yoke facing by hand because I tried to sew it twice by machine and it just kept shifting. Mental note: don't use linen for that pattern again. And then, when I put it on for church this afternoon, I discovered that it was at least a size too big. This is a Vogue pattern, which fit me really well, and it was too big. This either means I'm losing weight, or the pattern is nuts. It's Vogue, though, so I'm betting on the weight loss. Unfortunately, altering the thing will essentially involve re-sewing it. I'm not ready to that, although I had time today.
  • Got Emily's muslin all marked and then I unpicked it and pressed it and marked it again so I can cut out the shantung in the next couple of days. I'm a LITTLE nervous, but it will be just FINE.
  • I looked at the unfinished dreaded brown butterfly-print dress that I added sleeves to, and then decided not to deal with it. I have to take the neckline in (there's no easy way to do that!) and I should have put a back zipper in to begin with because the side zipper is stupid. Mental note: if you're adding sleeves to a sleeveless dress with a side zipper, it's probably best to assume that you should just do a back zipper and save yourself the annoyance.
  • I stashed some fabric for fall. I'm not in the mood to cut it out yet.
  • I cut out my brown striped shirt-dress and I'm really excited to finish it. So excited that I forgot to serge the raw edges (which I do on just about anything that isn't lined) on the bodice before sewing it together, but that turned out to be a good thing because in my slapdash fitting (putting it on over my shirt because my baby niece kept opening the sewing room door) I realized that I'm in for a tricky alteration that seems to be more or less universal: While I've gained about a size over the last few years, I haven't gained weight in my shoulders or chest. My bustline, yes, but not my chest. I'm just as thin there as ever, but if I cut out a dress or shirt in the bigger size, it means the neckline, shoulders, and upper chest are too big. Ugh. Maybe I'll have to do the tricky and obnoxious size-grading maneuver where I keep the chest and shoulders the smaller size and grade up to the larger size from my bust down. Hate it. I am annoyed that I gained enough weight to have to do extensive alterations. So the dress isn't done, but I hope to have it done by the end of the week when I go to a family reunion.
  • I hemmed a pair of capris that came unhemmed in the wash. No big deal.
I think I'm actually making a huge dent in my projects, but, quite frankly, I'm so annoyed that I have to do the above-mentioned chest alterations (remember that chest is different from bust), and that the skirt I thought I cut out in my current size is too big, that I am easily frustrated and discouraged and I have days at a time when I don't want to sew ever again. However, the creative spark will burn and I keep finding things I want to make.

No comments: