Friday, July 17, 2009

PANTS!

Not only is that a line from "The Hudsucker Proxy" (one of my all-time favorite films), but it is the title of my current dilemma.

After a few years of working part-time for very little money while finishing school and not being able to afford more than the very basics of a wardrobe, not to mention digging out of a period of depression following the break-up of my engagement, I finally got a decent full-time job. As a result of better pay, I spent probably a little too much money on clothes, including LOTS of pants. I have a 34 inch inseam, and when you don't make much money it's hard to justify spending $60 + on anything, let alone pants. When I started making more money, I ventured into Gap because I knew they had long pants in stock nearly all the time. I spent over $300 on Gap pants last year. It may not seem like much to some people, but it was a lot to me! And I was so happy to find pants that were long enough that fit well that I went a little crazy...

Now I have a dilemma. I have all these pants that I bought a size bigger (because I was a size bigger) that now are too big. I have the skills to alter them (much as I dislike altering anything) but I wonder if it would just be cheaper to buy new pants in my regular size. When I consider what my time is worth and the time it will take to alter all those pants (something like 6 pairs), it might actually be cheaper in the long run to just buy new ones and give my old pants away. Quite a dilemma, eh? What a pain.

No comments: