Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Mail today!

Yay! My newest vintage patterns came today! I got them from Patternmania on Etsy and I love them. It's nice to have a new source for vintage patterns that isn't eBay...

I think I might make this slip out of a cotton batiste, with a little bit of stretch. Or not. I might just make it out of tricot and see if I can avoid the side zipper. I'm looking at View 2, just because it's cute and will work under full skirts and dresses. It will possibly be trimmed in pink. It calls for a "16 inch neck type zipper", and I have no idea what that could be. I'll probably use an invisible zipper.










I already have the fabric for this one--I bought over 4 yards of a beautiful robin's egg blue cotton sateen at JoAnn, because I didn't know how much I'd need yet. I'll be making View 1 and using some leftover off-white satin for the binding around the collar and sleeves and off-white mother-of-pearl buttons, and I may do something fun with the satin and my Wonder Under. Floral appliqués on the skirt or something. I figured I'd have enough extra to make at least one skirt, so I got a 7" zipper for that, not thinking that I'd need one for the side of this. I may have one in my stash, but if not, I know that the "ciel" zipper is a perfect match.

I'm getting excited about sewing again!

2 comments:

Tropicanna said...

Oh my gosh! I'm in love with this dress and I want it... but with 3/4 sleeves. I wish I could hire you as my personal seamstress. All I want to wear are adorabel 40s-50s style dresses... that are modest. Near impossible to find! Too bad I don't sew.

Nursapalooza said...

Dang, I am soooo jealous! I wish you'd teach classes, bc I would LOVE to have your skill and those dresses! So dang cute!